Monday, February 05, 2007

Pillsbury Cigarette Cookies

I let my sweet tooth control my thoughts for a minute and dug into the bag of cookies that my mother-in-law sent over. One bite and that was it for me, as I'm still trying to get the taste out of my mouth. She actually bakes very well, but since she is a chain smoker and lives in a small apartment, everything has that distinct ash tray taste, and since I'm not a smoker most of what she sends over finds its way into the trash can. Although she has a multitude of health problems and has been told numerous times to quit, she considers her cigarettes "candy". When she's over at our house for holiday dinners she always goes outside after the meal (we don't allow smoking in the house) saying "Time for my dessert". It's not something I like for my kids to hear because, heaven knows, it's hard enough to teach them that those things are to be avoided without having their grandma refer to them as dessert. I'm not sure why my wife never started smoking, since both her brothers and her mom do, but I know I wouldn't be with her if she had.
Hopefully, grandma's cookies will serve as a deterrent if my kids ever think about taking up the habit. I know the taste of them keeps me from getting the urge to ever start, along with killing my appetite for any food at all for several hours.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Quiting smoking is one of the most difficult things to do. I've been trying to quit for a while now, but it's just so hard. I quit for years, but I picked up the habit again about 7 years back. I only smoked about a half pack a day, but that's a half pack too much. It's hard, but I'll keep trying to quit until I get it right.

12:55 AM  
Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Hi Tim,
I love cookies! As for smoking, I was lucky and never took it up -- tried, but my lungs wouldn't let me, thank God. After two of my grandparents died a long, slow lung cancer death, I can see how lucky I was. They say quitting smoking is more difficult than hard drugs.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home