Thursday, January 28, 2010

Countdown

I'm starting to feel an uncomfortable tension building inside of me. My son and girlfriend are getting married in April and are getting into the intense planning part of things right now, booking a place for the wedding, reception, finding a caterer, dj, all that good stuff. So why am I getting nervous? Well, contrary to tradition where the brides parents pay for most of the wedding, it seems we'll be helping out financially quite a bit, adding to the almost insurmountable mountain of debt we're under right now. I was hoping to use most of our tax return to alleviate a small portion of the bills but I don't think that's going to happen. I'm not complaining, I'm glad to help out, but I'm afraid that if things run over budget we might have to go further into debt to pay for everything. Also, the church they've chosen to get married in is somewhere that I know I'll start to panic when I go because it's outside my area of travel right now. That sounds so self-centered and childish, but since this is someplace I have to go maybe now is a good time to really confront my traveling fear.
On the brighter side, the two of them, check that - three of them - will finally be moving out on their own ( hopefully so, since they haven't gotten a place of their own yet). Being together on their own as a family will have many trying times, and with luck, many rewarding ones. They're both young, but I hope they have the patience and perseverance it takes to make their marriage work.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Tim,

I think I'm one of the few women who hates wedding planning and all things wedding! Exhausting business. But I wish your son and his wife to be the best! Hope you're having a good weekend, my dear!

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home