Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Worth of my Soul

I've always been of the belief that each person's life has a special meaning, a reason for existing. Everyone has a purpose and we are individuals working toward a common, if unknown, goal. We are all part of God's plan. This belief tends to be shaken when I see things like pictures of bodies piled on top of each other - from the recent earthquake, or pictures from the tsunami that killed almost 300,000 people, or worse, pictures of masses of bodies from places where one group of human beings tries to annihilate another. I consider myself lucky that I only see these images sitting in the comfort of my home and do not have witness of these things firsthand. Even so, I begin to see how maybe we each play a much smaller part in the scheme of things than we're willing to admit when I see so much destruction of life on such a scale. I feel shame at the arrogance of my ego, thinking sometimes that I could be someone who changes the world, if only I had the chance. I'm sure many of those people who lost their lives thought the same, and perhaps in some way they have. I'm coming to accept that my importance is that of a single atom in God's plan and that I have to live my life with humility each day, it's just that I need reminded of that from time to time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Hi Tim,

Beautiful thoughtful piece of writing! I really liked this. And your soul is worth more than you'll ever know.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home