Wednesday, April 19, 2006

How Can I Tell Her

and thirty other hits from yesteryear, all on a three disc set! If I haven't mentioned it before I'm a bit of a music buff when it comes to the oldies. The title above is a Lobo song, one you might hear advertised on A.M. Gold, or one of those other music commercials they have every so often. I heard that song today at work and smiled to myself. Most of the other people I work with are a lot younger than me and have no use for the older music, especially if no one is screaming incoherently about sex, drugs or shooting somebody. I could listen to the "oldies" all the time. It's hard to believe that my 80's music falls into that category now. Until the last few years the 80's songs were kind of my specialty, but I started to realize how much the music from earlier times had embedded itself into my soul. I guess like most people I connect certain songs with what was happening in my life at the time. If I happen to hear 'Witchita Lineman' I immediately think back to when my older brother used to take me fishing a lot. 'West End Girls' was on the air when my oldest son was born, I rollerskated to Blondie's 'Rapture' in the early 8o's, and there are more than a few songs that remind me of special times I had on the computer when the internet was young and you could play music in the chat rooms while meeting a lot of interesting people. I guess I'm really dating myself when I say this, but I remember when FM radio was just starting to take off, rivaling the long standing AM powerhouse stations. Nowadays the kids barely know what a radio is, what with the MTV and MP3 and whatever else has come along that I missed. But that's ok, I just hope that when I'm old and senile that I can go back in my mind and replay all the great music I've been fortunate enough to have heard.

1 Comments:

Blogger Coloratura said...

Love Blondie's Rapture... and also Heart of Glass. Ah, the oldies but goodies... there's so many of them. But I know what you mean about loving them and the memories they can conjure up in just a few notes...

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home