Tuesday, November 21, 2006

It's.... Santa?

When Super K-Mart opened some years ago my wife and I went late at night to do some Christmas shopping. There weren't many people there at that time, being past ten o'clock if I recall correctly. As we swung into the back aisle of the store I saw an unusual sight at the far end of the store, coming down the aisle toward us. It was a man on stilts, wearing a santa suit. Now ordinarily you'd expect to see santa being mobbed by children, but at this time of the night, and I think the weather was bad too so not many people out, there was no one around him at all. As he got closer to us something just wasn't right. He wasn't walking as if on stilts. I briefly thought there were two people, one on the other's shoulders, wearing one suit. However, as he walked by us and said "Hello" I realized this was definately not the jolly St. Nick in most of the pictures you see, for he was the skinniest, tallest elf I'd ever seen, and though not unfriendly, he looked uncomfortable being Santa Claus. I later found out that he was 7'6" and doing some sort of promotion as part of the grand opening of that store.
It's just the sort of thing you see late at night when you're half asleep.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

That's got to be the tallest elf in history. Good thing there weren't any children around to see him walking through the store, they probably would have been scared to death.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Tim,

Hi again! I love this story. K-Mart has high sentimental value for me -- I remember one Christmas where my parents didn't have much money and let us pick out coloring books near the big day instead of presents. Weirdly enough, it was the most memorable and best Christmas. Love the stilts on your Santa friend!

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home