Sunday, December 24, 2006

Requiem Aeternam

As I sit here on Christmas Eve taking a break before finishing my wrapping and getting the house cleaned up, I realize how thankful I am that I'm able to have my family here with me to celebrate the day, and how several thousands of parents who lost their sons and daughters fighting in the war will have an empty seat at the table, one less present under the tree. As a parent, I can imagine the pain they must feel this time of year and I feel so very badly for them.

I don't know anyone personally who has lost a child in battle, but long ago my sister had a friend whose husband was an F-4 navigator during the Vietnam War and was shot down over enemy territory. He was never found and was declared Missing-In-Action. Having to go through life, especially the holidays, with her two kids and no husband was a real ordeal for her, and such a sadness for everyone else who really had no words to comfort her.
So this Christmas I'll take a moment and think of those who won't be coming home for the holidays, and hope their eternal rest is a peaceful one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Dear Tim,

Merry Christmas! I hope yours is a wonderful one. You make excellent points in this blog about the sadness and pain many people experience around this time of year, especially in a time of war when lots of children won't be coming back at all. I suppose the only thing is to try and be really kind to everyone, but you're so right about sometimes there being no words of comfort. Anyway, to end on a happy note, here's to a beautiful day!

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home