Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Marvelous Toy

I've added a couple of new links to my list of blogs that I read. Any of the ones on my list are much better reading than my useless dribble, so please check them out.

My love of music began when I was probably about seven or eight. My brother had just finished his service with the Air Force and had brought back lots of treasures from where he was stationed in England. Among these was a tape recorder and reels and reels of tapes. This was one of the old style recorders(brand new at the time, but this was many eons ago) where one reel played onto an empty one then you had to rewind it back on. It was a huge, majestic piece of machinery with lots of switches and buttons. A veritable magnet to a young boy who was told never to touch it. Every chance I could, I would play those tapes over and over, letting the sounds of The Lettermen, Gene Pitney, Glen Campbell, The Seekers and Neil Diamond fill my mind with imagination and awe. I had all the entertainment I could ever hope for at my fingertips. Of course there were those times that I got caught... usually when the tape would get all jammed up and ruin a song or two, then I was in trouble. As things changed and time moved on his tape recorder became an expensive dust collector, and I moved on to playing my sister's records on her new stereo when she wasn't around. Yes, I was the little imp, but none of the songs from that time have gone out of date in my mind. I could still sit and listen to them all day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Tim,
I love all those people, especially Neil Diamond. Have you heard his new album? It's quite good, much like his best pop, but a little more compressed. Happy Friday!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I know what you mean. I love all the old songs I listened to on my uncle's Hi Fi. Funny, when I here them now, I still remember all the words and I still love to sing along.

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home