Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I Sense A Presence I've Not Felt In A Long Time

Funny how smells can linger on your mind even after years and years. I guess it shouldn't be that strange since many animals recognize each other by their individual scents, and many use the sense of smell to hunt. I guess it's kind of amazing though, when you catch a whiff of something that you recognize from long ago. My first grade teacher is long buried, and even if she stood in front of me looking as she did back then I wouldn't know who she was, but I'd be able to pick her out of a lineup by the perfume she wore. I have no idea what it was, but once in a great while I catch an odor of it and it reminds me of first grade. My wife used to wash her hair with Body On Tap shampoo, and I still remember the sensation of holding her and smelling her still- wet hair after a shower. The smell of a baby is a special thing, and when I was holding my grandson the other day it brought back the times when my own kids were that young and innocent and made me realize how quickly time has passed since then. I've heard that the memory of an odor can be recalled from early in our lives right up to the day we die. I hope so, because when I get old I want to remember the special things in my life, in one way or another.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Tim,

The sense of smell is so powerful -- my favorite is Coppertone for some reason -- childhood, I suppose. And I just read an article about people who lose their sense of smell and get very depressed. Shampoo is totally cool as well -- very subtle, yet specific. I remember the one Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific! I've always been fond of strawberry fragrances for some reason.

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home