Monday, June 23, 2008

We're Ready To Believe You

I've always been intrigued with the idea of flying saucers and aliens and such, especially when talk turned to local sightings. There were plenty of stories when I was growing up, and living in the country where it got pitch black at night, the tales both terrified and excited me. Just like ghost stories, the ufo talk was something I had to listen to, yet made me hide my head under the covers in fear of something coming into my room and taking me to a far off planet to torture me.

The best story from my part of the country came from a family who lived a few miles from us on the ridge (we lived in the valley). They said that every summer - or maybe it was spring, I forget - that unidentified objects would come down and drain the power from the electric towers on their property. If these were some of the more loony neighbors, and there were quite a few, their stories could be dismissed as fantasy, but they were a well-to-do family with a large farm. The boy and girl were a few years older than me, I remember her well because she was gorgeous and very intelligent, a member of the Honor Society in school, so it was hard to imagine that the tales were completely false. Besides, the neighbors had reported seeing things too, not that anyone else had the juice sucked out of their power lines, but several had seen strange lights in that area.

Another one I heard was when my mom was telling someone about another neighbor who had supposedly hit an alien with his car. It had gotten away, but left a strange residue on his bumper that he sent away to be analyzed, only to be told that it was an unknown substance. My mom herself said once that she saw something just over the hill that she thought was the moon at first because it was so big and bright but it flew away.

Try as I might, I could never spot a ufo while I was living in the country when I was a kid, but...
Two years after I got married and moved away we moved back to stay with dad until we could find an apartment that accepted kids, my wife being eight months pregnant at the time. We were coming back from mass on Easter Eve, following my sister who was a couple hundred yards in front of us when a brightly flashing light caught our eye. It was right when we turned off the highway and onto the ridge road. When we got to the top of the ridge the light followed my sister's car until she turned off and headed down the valley road. We talked about it when we got home, and she didn't know what it was either. It was not necessarily a spaceship, but it made no sound and only had a bright flashing light coming from it, like a brilliant camera flash.

Part of me wants to believe that aliens from other worlds are visiting us, but the older I get the more skeptical I become. It's still an interesting topic for me and maybe one day some hillbilly will drag a saucer onto the White House lawn and pose beside it with the alien he blasted with his coon rifle and put the debate to rest once and for all. Until then I'll keep glancing toward the skies, hoping to spot something to tell a good story about.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Tim,

I'd love to believe there's something out there -- it would be very cool! I've been to Roswell, but that's about it as far as alien encounters. Hope you're having a good week!

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home