Monday, April 12, 2010

Transformation to Adulthood

My middle son was born twenty-one years ago on this date, so today he's a full-fledged adult - on paper anyway. Nathan's was the only birth I got to witness, making his entrance into this world something I'll always hold as special. All my sons are different, although it's easy to pick out the family traits that say they belong to me. When Nathan was born the first thing I noticed was that he was covered in dark hair. The second thing was that they couldn't get him to breath right away, but eventually he was breathing and crying and it was a wonderful moment for my wife and I. He grew up a handsome lad, his hair staying as black as the day he was born, and growing tall and athletic in stature. He had a knack for making friends easily, quite a different characteristic from his shy older brother, and breezed through school fairly easily getting high grades throughout. He played Little League baseball from T-Ball through the last year of the Senior League and still plays on a league now, so sports-wise he was the most gifted of my sons. Since baseball was always my passion I played catch with him a lot and remember throwing in the backyard year after year. I think he broke a window every year, and I remember one year, when it got warm out and he wanted to throw around, the very first pitch of the year went through the bathroom window. Then there was the year I went out to catch him and his pitches were all bending. I asked him where he learned to throw a curve ball and he said "the internet". Although he's always had an independent streak he's always kept his head where it should be, reaching the prestigious rank of Eagle Scout in Boy Scouts. The last couple of years we haven't seen a lot of him since he spends most of his time with his fiance and his son. They're getting ready for the wedding in less than two weeks. Soon he won't need mom and dad much at all, which is kind of sad, but it's part of growing up and becoming an adult. Happy Birthday Nathan.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Hi Tim,

Congrats on your son's birthday! The years seem to fly by, right? You'll have to post pictures of the wedding!

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home