Saturday, March 20, 2010

Letters to Friends That Are Never Written

Hello old friend, it's so great to hear from you after all this time. You still look the same as you did when we were youngsters, with maybe just a new wrinkle here and a gray hair there. Beautiful pictures, your family has grown so much, and your grandchildren are the same age now as when you and I first met so long ago. I still remember the first time that our paths crossed. It was first grade, on the playground at recess, and I wore a new red baseball cap for the first time that day and you hit me in the head with a stone that was meant for someone else. I was fine until I saw the blood on my new cap, then I started crying and you got in trouble. Funny now, that that's how our friendship was started.
I've been in good health but have added a few pounds, as you can see in my pictures. Long gone is the athletic body that I had when we played football in your yard or hockey on the creek or the many hours we spent on the basketball court. I did get in shape a couple of different times since then, but the last few years I've become embarrassingly apathetic about my appearance. Too many donuts and not enough walking. Truthfully I've changed quite a bit more than just my bulging middle. In fact, I'm a very different person now days. Gone is the eager, up-for-anything kid you grew up with, replaced by someone who doesn't take the challenges that we both took when we were teenagers. I've become too content with my sedentary life. Too reliant on the humdrum boredom that is everyday living. I've become the guy the young me never wanted to become. Funny how one little decision here, then another little one there have brought us to where we are right now, with you almost the same as you always were and me so very different. Somehow it's all part of a master plan and someday we'll see how it all turns out.
Our communications are few and far between but it is always good to hear from you. I wish you health and happiness and hope to hear from you soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Dear Tim,

I love the title of this piece -- really poetic and lovely. Great idea and execution. Hope you're having a good week, my dear friend!

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home