Saturday, November 25, 2006

Post-Thanksgiving Happenings

Today was not really my day, but first about yesterday - the Friday after turkey day. We had a family get-together at my sister's which was really nice. My one sister who lives in Pennsylvania came with her family. She only makes it back once or twice a year, so we always have some sort of shindig when she gets here. It was also a rare occasion that all nine of us kids made it and were there at the same time. I don't think anyone was counting, but there were probably between 60 - 80 people that showed up. There were quite a few who didn't make it, so I guess if everyone had shown up there would have been over 100. Our family just keeps on growing.
Today was another great looking day... warm with lots of sunshine. I went out to the land to put up some "No Hunting" signs. The very first sign I was stapling to a piece of cardboard and put a staple into my finger. It started bleeding pretty bad from the two holes the staple made. I got it bandaged up and started up the hill. Part way up I felt all the turkey and trimmings starting to take their toll, as I was huffing and puffing and my heart was racing. I figured I would keep on walking and I'd either drop dead of a heart attack or work a few calories off. I don't think I dropped dead, so maybe I got a little exercise. After that I had to take my youngest to a scout thingy, then headed back out to the land to do some more work. I was standing on part of a wall of the house that is mostly fallen down and my feet slid out from under me. Not wanting to fall into the basement, because I might never get out, I grabbed onto the edge of the window. Even as I was reaching for it I knew it was going to have a nail sticking out... it did. I pulled my hand up and it was dripping blood from a big ripped-out piece of skin. I bandaged that finger up and went about my business, which was burning some leaves and other things. Just as it was getting dark a truck turned and pulled up the hill onto the property. I didn't know who it was, and there was nobody else around, so I was a little nervous, especially since my rifle was in the trunk of the car. It turned out he lived closeby and knew the land I'd bought pretty well, telling me a few things about when they had strip mined the land.
I guess it wasn't that bad of a day after all. Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday night!


Blogger Laura said...

Ouch, Hope your hand heals up quickly. Your family get-together sounded like alot of fun. Have a good night, and try not to injure yourself again, twice in one day is enough.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Poor Tim! I hope your had is feeling better. I've had days like that -- good ones, but with lots of injuries! I can't walk without running into something and would never attempt anything having to do with a hammer and nail. Your family sounds really nice.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home