Sunday, November 26, 2006

Good Guys vs. Bad guys

A few years ago one of the Cleveland tv stations started showing reruns of The Fugitive, the 60's tv series that was so popular back then. I started watching and soon found myself drawn into each show. I had seen the show when I was a kid but I was too young to pay a lot of attention to it. I rediscovered it and found out why it was such a huge hit... good acting and a great plot for each show which built on the underlying storyline of an innocent man trying to clear himself.
More recently I've found another oldie that I watch as often as I can - Gunsmoke. I can see why it was the longest running series for a long time. Great acting and great writing.
I'm also taking a look at some of the older movies I never paid attention to. I think the thing that made those old shows and movies so good was simplicity. There weren't a lot of subplots and hard-to-follow jumping around. They told a story which was pretty straightforward and put a lot of action and suspense in it without the audience having to do a lot of thinking to try and keep up with what was going on. And of course almost all of them were able to be viewed by all family members without a rating popping up in the corner of the screen. I guess that's why I find myself drawn to those old shows... I have a fairly simple mind and watching those shows once in awhile is a refreshing change from some of the nonsense that has infiltrated the boob tube.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Tim,

I haven't thought of Gunsmoke in a long time -- great show! I also love the old stuff -- I think attention spans used to be longer and we didn't need as many bells and whistles.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I like a lot of the old movies and shows too. The new ones just don't seem as good. Even when they are remakes of older movies, they are just not as good as the original.

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home