Monday, April 14, 2008

The Blessed Ones

I have two cousins (my dad's cousins, so I'm not sure what that makes them to me) who are very active in our church. There were three of them, all sisters, until the oldest died a few years ago. They are the model Catholics, attending every function, never missing a holy day, teaching CCD. None have ever been married, and I'm not sure if they've even dated, so dedicated are they to the Lord. They are a rarity in these times, and anyone seeing them might think their devotion a bit eccentric, but compared to the religious lives of people in other countries, theirs is a normal existence.
One thing that has been brought to light since the first Gulf War is the role that religion plays in the lives of other cultures. Probably most of the citizens of this country, myself included, are looked at as ungodly heathens because of our passive attitude toward our proclaimed faith. Muslims, Buddhists, Hindu's and so many of the world's religions are very rigorous in their daily prayers, fasting and alms givings. Reading blogs of other Catholics around the world has made me ashamed of the way I practice my religion, while at the same time filling me with an admiration for them and a feeling of relief that there are so many who make God the first priority in their lives. It makes it seem as if the world isn't quite as chaotic as it sometimes appears.
I know that I'm nowhere near where I want to be in my Catholic life, and every time I take Communion I ask for strength to guide me, but it's not easy living a traditional Catholic life in this day and age. I really admire my cousins, who may be seen as a bit odd, but who are surely looked upon fondly by the Master they serve.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

I admire people like that as well. Lord knows I don't live a near good enough life, but I think the trying counts. And communion is always powerful. Hope you're having a good week!

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home