Tuesday, May 26, 2009

No Time To Breathe

My son has a pet mouse he keeps in an aquarium, in which he also has a wheel for him to get in and run. The mouse gets nowhere and soon tires out and stops. Lately I've felt like I'm in that wheel, having to go faster and faster but getting nowhere. The work keeps piling up and I keep thinking that if I only had a couple of good days I could get a lot accomplished, but of course when I start out to do something it turns out to be more of a job than I had anticipated and I end up spending a whole day on a chore I thought would take an hour or so. It seems like that's always been the case, but recently so much has made it's way to my list of things to do that I feel like I have to run faster and faster to get done. I've become the mouse in the wheel, the difference is that the rodent in the cage stops and gets off when he wants. My wheel is headed down a hill with no bottom. Somewhere in the cosmos someone is watching and getting a good laugh at my expense.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Tim,

I KNOW this feeling! I think at certain points it just feels like you're patching up things, not getting ahead of the game. The hamster wheel is a great metaphor -- it feels really fast and all, but you're not going anywhere. I hope your week gets better! take care, m

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home