Saturday, May 06, 2006

Ups and Downs


This land purchase is really stressing me out. We got approved for our loan and called our realtor about getting more acreage. He had spoken to the seller's realtor and come up with a price for more acres. We were hopeful that since the rest of the land is on a steep hill that they would come way down in price, since it would be hard to build on. They did come down... but only by $110 an acre... hardly any change at all. So we've been talking about what we want to do and I think we're going to go ahead and get two additional acres, even though it will be more than we are wanting to pay. The seller also gave an offer for ten acres, but it wasn't much of a deal at all.


The best thing happened the other day when we went out to do some measuring at the land site. As we were getting out of the car there was a deer about 30 feet away just standing there looking at us. My wife and 10 year old son were with me. I told them to stand still and start talking to it in quiet, pleasant tones. After a few minutes of staring at us it came a little closer...then closer until it got to a barbed wire strung across an old road. It came underneath the wire and right up to our car, then right up to me and started to sniff and lick my hand. I started to pet it then got my son and wife over and we all were petting it. I've never seen a deer in the wild do that! He looked like a yearling, so maybe he had gotten lost, or his mother had been killed or something, but it was pretty incredible. He hung around and played with my son for about an hour, right up til we got in the car to go home. He even came and stuck his nose in the car like he was gonna climb right in. Luckily I had the sense to get the camera phone and take some pictures or no one would have believed it. Pretty cool!

4 Comments:

Blogger Coloratura said...

How cool... I went to Yosemite last year and had a similar experience... with a herd of bucks. They were gorgeous, but I didn't touch them because I wasn't if it was a good idea or not... but they were totally unafraid. And came right up to me.

The Native Americans felt that if an animal showed up in your life like that, it was a sign... you can research their interpretations of what the appearance of a deer means... :)

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm hoping that it's a good sign. I think the Native Americans were probably more in tune with the vibes of nature than any other culture within written history, so I'm not one to dismiss their lore as superstition. I'll have to look into that and see what it means. Thanks for the comment, that's really neat having a whole herd come up to you like that!

10:01 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

Too entirely groovy!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Coloratura said...

Well, to tell you the truth, they didn't come up to me, they were laying in a field half hidden. We went for a walk and when they came back, they were all up and eating. Still, when we went up to them, they weren't the slightest bit afraid... but a lot of animals in Yosemite are like that.

Which is why your experience is even cooler... and quite possibly, way more significant. I completely agree with you on the Native Americans... I find their cultures and customs way more civilized than ours, in general.

I think I reserached this once as I had a deer and her little doe show up in my backyard once... they just went to sleep in my garden, it was amazing... and I believe that what I found indicated that the presence of the doe indicates a need for gentleness in your life... I'm sure that's oversimplifying it, but it was something like that... you should post about it if you find anything interesting.

Cheers!

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home