Thursday, March 15, 2007

It Really is a Small World

I was talking to my friend Mike the other day who was telling me about someone we know from this town that he'd been talking to. I guess the guy had just gotten back from Las Vegas and was saying that while riding in a taxi the driver started talking to him and asked where he was from. When he told him he said that this was where he was from too. He started naming a lot of places around, asking if they were still there. He'd left town a number of years ago and had been in Vegas for a long time. What a coincidence running into someone from the same small town halfway across the country.

It reminded me of something that happened on my senior trip. Every year for many years the senior class went on a trip to Washington D.C. While we were going on a tour through the Senate building (I think that's where we were) one of the security guards started talking to our group, asking where we were from. Laughingly someone said "No place you ever heard of. Freeport, Ohio". "Sure I know where that is!" he said. "I go fishing out there at Piedmont Lake ". Freeport was (and still is) a town of maybe three or four hundred people, one grocery store and one gas station, situated in the middle of nowhere with Piedmont Lake a few miles down the road. Not something someone would know unless they were telling the truth... or had memorized every little sneeze of a town in the whole state.

Just goes to show you how small the world really is sometimes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Dear Tim,

The world is so so small. If there's someone I don't want to run into, however small the odds, I will and same goes for those I do. It's really pretty cool!

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home