Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Saying Hi to Dad

My father died thirteen years ago today, although at times it doesn't seem that long at all. Until the last couple of years I'd be doing something and think "I'll have to tell dad that", then remember that he was gone. My dad's funeral was the saddest event I've ever been to. I couldn't hold back the tears at all, he was everything I could ever hope to be, and he was gone.
My mother's death was different because I was in shock through the whole affair, with her dying suddenly at a very hectic time in my life. Even though I was closer to her than dad, his death hit me the hardest, maybe because I'd become so close to him after her passing.

I miss telling him things, mostly things the kids do. He really loved all the grandkids, even though he wasn't as outward with his affection as mom was. I wish he would have been around just a few more years to see my youngest son, who has the same blue eyes as he did. He would have gotten a kick out of him.

I think that as long as we keep our loved ones in our thoughts that they are still with us, so today I'm thinking of you dad.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Dear Tim,

I'm so sorry -- the anniversaries are really hard, yes? I'm sure your dad is definitely around, but it's still so hard and those funeral days, well, there's no words for how sad those days are.

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home