Sunday, March 04, 2007

Their Shame is Their Glory

I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or because all those years of being raised by parents with conservative, old-fashioned values has finally made me see things their way, but I'm beginning to think that the majority of the country is now made up of immoral, apathetic creatures who bear only a physical resemblance to the term human. The phrase their shame is their glory was used by the priest today to describe the depths to which our race has fallen, where people are openly talking and bragging about things they do which should be things they are begging forgiveness for.
When I see how the world has become so lax in enforcing basic moral standards and in fact, how the tv shows, movies, and newspaper headlines are exploiting this trend in the name of higher profits I have to wonder where it will all end. The Jerry Springer Show was the example used by the priest of people airing their misconduct with pride for all to see. Almost all shows on the air right now contain subject matter which was forbidden just a few years ago. Since most of the children of this country watch tv at least a little each day it's easy to see how morality is quickly becoming a thing of the past. History has shown that when civilizations reach a level of spiraling moral decadence they tend to meet a violent end, be it by way of a complete overthrow of government, or, if you're so inclined to believe, by the hand of God (i.e. Sodom and Gomorrah).
I have no solution to propose, and if my views are correct then any attempt to turn things around would be met with overwhelming resistance anyway, so the best I can do is try to live life the way I think best and try to avoid falling into the ugly whirlpool which threatens to pull our civilization down to a point of no return.

I didn't mean to make a sermon out of this post but I think that's what I did. Oh well, it's Sunday so I'm allowed, right? Anyway, it's snowing and cold here in Ohio today, which may be a good or not-so-good thing. I tapped some maple trees this last week to make maple syrup, but so far the sap hasn't been running very much. I'm hoping that's because it hasn't been warm enough yet and that when it does warm up it'll start pouring out, and not because I started too late and missed out totally. Tapping trees is a timing thing, and you only have a small window of opportunity to get the most out of your efforts.
Hope your Sunday is going well!

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Tim,

I totally understand -- teaching students, you see how much things change. I'm very liberal and still, I find myself dismayed at how the basic concept of manners is lost.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Tim,

I totally understand -- teaching students, you see how much things change. I'm very liberal and still, I find myself dismayed at how the basic concept of manners is lost.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home