Friday, June 22, 2007

One in a Million Shot

Today my son brought his arsenal of weaponry out to the land to do some target shooting, and since I was there I fired off a few rounds also. When I went up the hill to check the targets to see how close we were I found a snake lying belly up, having been hit by one of the rounds. I've walked that hill many many times and have never seen a snake, so the chance that one just happened into our line of fire is amazing. It reminds me of another incredible "can you believe it" happening from many years ago.
I used to play baseball a lot with my two nephews who lived at the end of the lane. I was about fifteen or so and they were about 8 and 10 at the time. We played in their backyard and any ball hit on the other side of the lane was a home run. Both of them were pretty good and could reach that distance pretty often. One time my other sister's son was playing with us. He loved sports, and at 9 years old would sit and read the sports pages for hours on end (he's now head sports journalist for a good sized newspaper - go figure), but wasn't very strong physically, and had never been able to hit one "out of the park" in the backyard. On this day, however, he got hold of a pitch and sent in over everyone's head, landing on the bank of the ditch that ran beside the lane. When my other nephew went to get the ball he started yelling for us to come and look. The ball had singled out a mole making his way along the bank and had killed it. We all talked for years about the "mole shot"........ just one of those things you remember.

Well my wife is gone for a few days, so I basically have the house to myself, which is very unusual and I'm not quite sure how to feel about it yet, but I'm about to go watch a ball game without interruptions. And I might just start farting and pick my nose just because I can. Oh wait... I do those things all the time anyway. But now no one is here to yell. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Tim,

That's cool about the snake. I would have been so afraid, even of a dead snake! And you're right about those moments -- I call them central casting. Very cool!

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home